- Of the top 100 grossing films of 2017, women represented just 8% of directors, and 10% of writers.
- This is surprising, considering that women make up 52% of all moviegoers according to MPAA in 2016.
- International Women’s Day is an official holiday in 15 countries including Vietnam and China – where is our bank holiday in the UK to celebrate all our amazing women?!
- According to the World Economic Forum’s 2017 Global Gender Gap Report, gender parity is over 200 years away. If this doesn’t motivate you to keep striving for equality, I don’t’ know what will. Currently, on average, women make 20% less than men.
- Girls who complete secondary school are 6x less likely to become child brides, according to Girls Not Brides.
- Domestic violence is not yet considered a crime in more than 20 countries, according to the Huffington Post.
- In the culture of the Tiwi of northern Australian, all females must be married at all times. What do you think about that?
- In films, comments made by characters that refer to appearance are directed at women at a rate of FIVE times that of comments directed at men, according to Gender Bias without Borders study.
- The same report found that Female characters are more than twice as likely to be skinny (38.5 percent vs. 15.7 percent) than their Male Characters in film and TV.
- Dr Grace Hopper, a computer scientist, invented the first user-friendly business computer software program in the 1950s. In 1969, she was awarded the first ever Computer Science Man of the Year Award. Ironic, huh?
International Women’s Day – 8th March 2018
Whatever you are doing on the 8th of March, raise a glass to the amazing Women who know you, work with you, are raising you or supporting you. Make it your mission to strive for equality today, not tomorrow.